These muffins are so tasty, and make a great breakfast or midday snack! The flavor reminds me of Froot Loops, a boxed cereal that my sister and I rarely ate because my mom was vigilant about keeping sugary cereals out of our house. But luckily for us, we could find them at Grandma’s every so often.
- 2 cups rolled oats ground into oat flour (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup orange juice (from 1 orange)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 ½ tablespoons grated orange peel
- ¾ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Prepare cupcake or loaf pan (use non-stick pans or use parchment paper to line loaf pan).
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a blender, combine wet ingredients and mix on high for two minutes, until raisins are not visible. Fold together wet and dry mixtures (don't over-mix). Fold in orange peel, berries and nuts.
- Scoop batter into pan. Bake for 25 minutes if making muffins (10 large, 12 small); 1 hour if using a loaf pan. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before removing to cool.
Substitutions: Dates may be used instead of raisins. Any type of non-dairy milk may be used instead of almond milk. Any type of berries or nuts may be substituted. Two cups whole-grain flour may be substituted for the oats/oat flour.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, please share a comment below or on my Facebook page. If you’d like to print this recipe, use the green “Print” button near the top-right of the recipe. Learn more about the Straight Up Food Cookbook here. Thank you!