Using cabbage instead of lettuce makes a hearty salad, perfect for an entree. With cabbage and carrots as the foundation, almost any vegetables and beans you have on hand can be added. Sometimes I keep it really simple, using only cabbage, carrots and chickpeas, and other times I just keep adding veggies until it’s a rainbow of colors.
- ½ head small-medium green cabbage, very thinly sliced (about 4 cups), core removed
- 2 carrots, grated (about 1½ cups)
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 3 green onions/scallions, chopped
- ½ medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil (about 20 large leaves)
- 1½ cups cooked garbanzo or black beans (or 1 15-oz. can)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 limes, juice from (about ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, minced)
- ground black pepper to taste
- Using a chef's knife or mandolin slicer, slice the cabbage so that the strands are very thin, and place into a large bowl. Add to this the grated carrots, celery, onion, cucumber, basil, beans, and avocado. Toss.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and blend with a fork. Add dressing to bowl of vegetables and toss thoroughly. If you are making this ahead of time, add the diced avocado just before serving.
Herbs: I often use basil in this salad, but you can also use parsley, oregano, thyme, cilantro, or any other fresh herb you like. Adjust the measurement down if using oregano or thyme; I'd use a couple teaspoons (minced) since they have such strong flavors.
Dressing: If you're not a lime fan, feel free to use lemon or grapefruit juice. You can also substitute with a combination of water and brown rice vinegar.
For fun: Add in a small handful of raisins, walnuts and/or pumpkin seeds.
Please click here to visit my Amazon kitchen store with all my favorite products (appliances, pans, kitchen tools, food items, and books). When you make a purchase, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase and your support!