There are countless variations of this popular side dish; my recipe is inspired by my mom’s, which includes apples and raisins. I use a cashew-based dressing instead of oily vegan mayo, but you can easily forego the cashews for a lighter dressing.
- For the salad:
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1¾ cups grated carrots (1 to 2 medium)
- 1½ cups diced apple (1 to 2 medium), peeled or unpeeled
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup water
- 2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I like Dijon or stone ground)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I like apple cider)
- 1 medium clove garlic, sliced
- Place all of the dressing ingredients (water, cashews, mustard, vinegar, and garlic) into a blender, and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
- Place all of the salad ingredients (green cabbage, carrots, apple, red cabbage, raisins, and onion) into a large bowl.
- Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
For a lower-fat dressing, substitute ¾ to 1 cup of cooked white beans for the cashews.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, please share a comment below or on my Facebook page. If you’d like to print this recipe, use the green “Print” button near the top-right of the recipe. Learn more about the Straight Up Food Cookbook here. Thank you!