There are countless variations of this popular side dish; my recipe is inspired by my mom’s, which includes apples and raisins. I use a cashew-based dressing instead of oily vegan mayo, but you can easily forego the cashews for a lighter dressing.
- For the salad:
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1¾ cups grated carrots (1 to 2 medium)
- 1½ cups diced apple (1 to 2 medium), peeled or unpeeled
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup water
- 2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I like Dijon or stone ground)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I like apple cider)
- 1 medium clove garlic, sliced
- Place all of the dressing ingredients (water, cashews, mustard, vinegar, and garlic) into a blender, and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
- Place all of the salad ingredients (green cabbage, carrots, apple, red cabbage, raisins, and onion) into a large bowl.
- Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
For a lower-fat dressing, substitute ½ cup of cooked white beans for the cashews.
Click here to visit my Amazon kitchen store with all my favorite products (appliances, pans, kitchen tools, food items, and books). When you make a purchase, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase and your support!