This gravy is delicious with Mashed Potatoes or Lentil & Rice Loaf. It’s rich and flavorful even without the typical processed ingredients found in vegan gravies, such as soy sauce, non-dairy butter, flour, and cornstarch.
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup raw unsalted cashews (1½ ounces)
- 6 medium white or brown (cremini) mushrooms (6 ounces)
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion (½ of a large onion)
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (dried)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the water and cashews into a blender, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan on high heat, add 1 tablespoon of water, and when it starts to sputter, add the mushrooms, onion, carrot, and celery. Cook stirring for about 3 minutes until the vegetables soften, adding a little water as needed to prevent sticking. Add the garlic and poultry seasoning, and continue stirring for another 2 minutes (adding water as needed).
- Add the cooked vegetables to the blender of water and cashews, and blend until smooth (add more water if you'd like a smoother consistency). Return the gravy to the saucepan (on medium heat) and stir briefly just to reheat, grinding a bit of black pepper in at the end. Serve immediately.
Poultry seasoning: I have a fondness for poultry seasoning, especially around the holidays; but if you don't have any, you can use a combination of dried onion, sage, rosemary, marjoram, parsley, and/or thyme.
Mushrooms: Any edible mushrooms may be used in this recipe, or a mix.
Click here to visit my Amazon kitchen store with all my favorite products (appliances, pans, kitchen tools, food items, and books). When you make a purchase, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase and your support!