My favorite things about this soup: It’s very easy to make; it doesn’t call for too many ingredients; it’s creamy and rich without any added fat; it has a nice salted flavor without added salt; it’s very hearty and filling; and, oh yeah, it’s delicious!
- 6 cups water
- 1½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes (2 to 3 large), cut into chunks (skin on)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon no-salt poultry seasoning
- 1½ pounds broccoli (1 to 2 heads), coarsely chopped
- 3 large Swiss chard leaves, ends trimmed and coarsely chopped
- In a large soup pot, add the water, potatoes, onion, coriander, granulated garlic and onion, and poultry seasoning, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add the broccoli. Cook covered for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes and broccoli are tender (stirring occasionally). Stir in the chard and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup right in the pot until smooth but still with some small lumps and chunks. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, ladle batches of the soup into a blender before returning to the soup pot, or mash the vegetables right in the pot with a hand-held potato or bean masher.) If you prefer a creamier soup, just keep blending until the desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately as is or topped with sliced or chopped tomatoes.
Poultry seasoning substitute: If you do not have poultry seasoning on hand, you can substitute with a combination of rubbed sage and dried thyme, marjoram and/or rosemary (use a half teaspoon sage and half teaspoon of one, or a mix, of the other dried herbs).
Potatoes: Any type of potato will work, but I like Yukon golds best since they are naturally creamy.
Above: With a little ground black pepper on top. Swiss chard, naturally high in sodium, gives this soup a salted taste without the addition of salt.
Above: There’s nothing like a big pot of hearty soup on a cold day!
Click here to visit my Amazon kitchen store with all my favorite products (appliances, pans, kitchen tools, food items, and books). When you make a purchase, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase and your support!