This apple crisp is a perfect “anytime” dessert. I like to use Granny Smith apples because they soften nicely but still retain their shape. However, others may be used as well, such as a Gala, Fuji, or Pink Lady. Using a mix of apples is also fun.
- For the topping:
- 3 ounces pitted dates (about 6 Medjool or 12 Deglet Noor), chopped
- ¼ cup 100% apple juice plus 1 tablespoon
- 1¾ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the fruit:
- 1¾ pounds Granny Smith apples (4 to 5 medium), peeled and cored
- ½ cup raisins
- For the fruit sauce:
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1½ cups 100% apple juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- To start the topping, place the chopped dates and apple juice into a small bowl for at least 15 minutes (so the dates can soften). Place the rolled oats and cinnamon into a medium bowl and stir. Set aside.
- For the fruit, slice the peeled apples into thin wedges about ⅛-inch thick, and then cut them in half cross-wise (so they are more bite-sized). Place the cut apples and raisins into a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. To make the fruit sauce, place the oats into a blender, and grind them into flour. Add the apple juice, lemon juice, and cinnamon, and blend once more until smooth.
- Pour the fruit sauce into the bowl of apples and raisins, and stir (the sauce will be thin, but it will thicken during baking). Transfer this mixture to an 8×8-inch baking pan, spreading evenly (no parchment paper is needed).
- To finish the topping, transfer the soaked dates and apple juice to a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour this into the bowl of oats and cinnamon, and stir to coat.
- Spread the topping evenly over the top of the apples, and bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the topping is a deep medium brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Above: Granny Smith apples
Click here to visit my Amazon kitchen store with all my favorite products (appliances, pans, kitchen tools, food items, and books). When you make a purchase, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase and your support!