- 4 cups water
- 1 8-oz. bag fresh whole cranberries (about 2½ cups)
- 5 oz. pitted dates (7-9 Medjool or 14-16 Deglet), chopped
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 teaspoons agar agar powder
- Place the water, cranberries, dates, and pumpkin pie spice into a saucepan on medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour back into the pot, on medium-high heat, and stir in the agar powder with a fork or whisk to dissolve, bringing to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-6 minutes to activate the agar, stirring or whisking frequently.
- Pour into your dish or container of choice, and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before transferring to the refrigerator to set completely.
Cranberries: I could only find organic cranberries in 8-ounce bags, so that is what I used in this recipe. They are also sold in 12 and 16 ounce bags; if you have one of these sized bags, you'll have to do a little math. If you want a larger yield, I suggest buying two 8-oz. organic bags and doubling the recipe.
Pouring hot liquid into the Vitamix: As I was creating this recipe, I checked the Vitamix website to see what their guidelines are for hot liquid. They state that liquids up to 170F are safe. But if very hot liquid is blended in the plastic jar (say, right from boiling on the stovetop) repeatedly, it can crack and discolor your jar over time. This is why I say to let cool for at least 5 minutes in Step 1.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup (9 servings total)
- Calories: 61
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 26 g
- Protein: 0.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0