- For the salad:
- 3 pounds red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into about ¾-inch chunks (about 9 cups)
- 3 ribs celery, sliced or chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium ripe avocado, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup water
- 2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ½ cup)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I like Dijon or stone ground)
- 1 medium clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Place all of the dressing ingredients (water, cashews, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and cumin) into a blender, and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
- Cover the potatoes with cold water in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-high, and cook until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart when pierced with a knife, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Place the cooked potatoes, celery, red onion, avocado (if using), and dill into a large bowl.
- Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Stir the dressing into the salad. Serve immediately or after chilling for an hour.
You can use any kind of potato, but red potatoes are traditional since they hold together well and look nice.
You can use 1 teaspoon of dried dill instead of fresh, but there’s nothing like fresh herbs in a salad.
For a lower-fat dressing, substitute 3/4 cup of cooked white beans for the cashews.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Sodium: 95mg
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0