- 1 1/2 pounds white potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 5 medium white or cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 can cooked navy or other white beans (15 ounces; about 1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 cups packed spinach leaves or coarsely chopped Swiss chard
- ketchup, salsa, or Lemon-tahini Sauce (recipe below); optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the potatoes out evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the potatoes with a spatula (this does not have to be precise). Return to the oven, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes more, or until tender and lightly browned.
- About 10 minutes before the potatoes are done, place 1 tablespoon of water into a frying pan over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and cook while stirring for about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, and paprika, adding a little water, as needed, to prevent sticking.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and stir in the beans, tomatoes, and greens. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the greens have wilted, stirring once or twice. Toss in the hot cooked potatoes last, and serve immediately as is or with ketchup, salsa, or Lemon-tahini Sauce.
This scramble is also delicious served in steamed corn tortillas topped with salsa and/or avocado.
Potatoes: Yams or sweet potatoes may be substituted for all or half of the white potatoes.
Lemon-tahini Sauce: Tahini is ground sesame paste. It looks like creamy peanut butter but lighter in color, and can be found near the peanut butter in the grocery store. Ingredients: ¼ cup water, ¼ cup tahini (or 3 tablespoons hulled sesame seeds), 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional), 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon cumin. Combine in a blender until smooth.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe, 2 cups
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 9.1g
- Sodium: 54mg
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 59.2g
- Fiber: 15.4g
- Protein: 12.0g
- Cholesterol: 0