- For the rice and lentils:
- 3½ cups water
- ¾ cup dry/uncooked brown basmati rice
- ¾ cup dry/uncooked red lentils
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (these are spicy; optional)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- For the vegetables:
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1½ teaspoons finely chopped garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated or chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cups water
- ½ pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into ½-inch chunks (about 1½ cups)
- 1 medium yam, cut into ½-inch chunks (about 2 cups)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1¼ cups cooked peas (if frozen, thaw a little with warm water)
- 4 cups coarsely chopped greens (I like curly kale)
- Bring the water, rice, lentils, and spices (cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, turmeric, cardamom, and cloves) to a boil in a soup pot over high heat, uncovered. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before the rice and lentils are done cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of water in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the water starts to sputter, add the onion, and cook while stirring for 3 minutes, adding a little water, as needed. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook while stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the 3 cups of water, potatoes, yams, and celery to the frying pan, and return to a boil, uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-low, then cover and cook for 7 minutes. Stir in the peas and greens, then cover and cook for 3 minutes more, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir the cooked vegetables into the pot of cooked rice and lentils.
If you don’t want to bother with all of the individual dried herbs and spices (cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, turmeric, cardamom, ground cloves), you may replace them with 2 to 3 teaspoons of your favorite curry powder.
If you’re not in the chopping mood, you can also make a meal of just the lentils, rice, and herbs and spices after cooking them all together in step 1.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe, 1.5 cups
- Calories: 196
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 52mg
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 39.9g
- Fiber: 6.0g
- Protein: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 0