- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 9 cups)
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- Creamy Mushroom Gravy (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped chives, green onions, or parsley (for optional garnish)
- Place the potatoes into a soup pot and cover them with water. Stir in the granulated garlic and onion, and bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender when pierced with a knife.
- Ladle 1 cup of the cooking water from the pot into a small bowl, and set it aside. Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the potatoes on low speed, adding the cooking water gradually, until you have reached your desired consistency. Top with Creamy Mushroom Gravy and/or garnish with chopped chives, green onions, or parsley.
If you prefer chunkier mashed potatoes, do not peel the potatoes and use a handheld potato masher instead of an electric mixer.
To make curried mashed potatoes, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of curry powder along with the granulated garlic and onion in step 1.
To make pistachio mashed potatoes, in step 2, combine ½ cup of the reserved cooking water with ¼ cup raw, unsalted pistachios in a blender, and blend for 1 minute on high speed before mixing in with the potatoes.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe, 1 cup
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 18mg
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 63.1g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Cholesterol: 0