- For the salad:
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 can cooked garbanzo beans (15 ounces; about 1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled or unpeeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 medium, ripe avocado, chopped (optional)
- Mustard-Lime Dressing:
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup mustard (I like Dijon or stone ground)
- 1 medium clove garlic
- Place the cabbage, carrots, beans, bell pepper, cucumber, celery, green onions, basil, and avocado (if using) into a large bowl.
- Place the dressing ingredients (lime juice, mustard, and garlic) into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Toss the dressing and the salad.
To create an even more colorful salad,: substitute 1 cup of red cabbage for 1 cup of the green cabbage.
Herbs: I often use basil in this salad, but you can also use parsley, oregano, thyme, cilantro, or any other fresh herb you like. Adjust the measurement down if using oregano or thyme; I'd use a couple teaspoons (minced) since they have such strong flavors.
Dressing: If you're not a lime fan, feel free to use lemon or grapefruit juice. You can also substitute with a combination of water and brown rice vinegar.
For fun: Add in a small handful of raisins, walnuts and/or pumpkin seeds.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe, 1.5 cups
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Sodium: 79mg
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 26.6g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Protein: 6.9g
- Cholesterol: 0