- For the quinoa polenta:
- 2½ cups water
- ½ cup organic medium- or coarse-grind cornmeal
- ½ cup dry/uncooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1½ teaspoons granulated onion
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- For the vegetables:
- 8 medium white or cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (4 or 5 medium cloves)
- To make the quinoa polenta, bring all of the ingredients (water, cornmeal, quinoa, garlic, onion, oregano, and chili powder) to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line an 8×8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Spread the thick, cooked mixture evenly into the bottom of the dish and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- To cook the vegetables, heat 1 tablespoon of water in a large frying pan or soup pot over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the mushrooms, onions, zucchini, and bell pepper, and cook while stirring for 3 to 5 minutes, adding a little water, as needed. Add the zucchini and garlic, and cook while stirring for 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- After removing the cooked quinoa polenta from the oven, cut it into four squares and place each one on a plate. Spoon the cooked vegetables over the top of each square, and top with a spoonful of the barbecue sauce (recipe below), or you can serve the sauce on the side.
Polenta is a great blank canvas, so experiment by adding:
Your favorite dried herbs and spices to the cooking polenta.
Your favorite vegetables to the frying pan.
A can of drained and rinsed black beans to the cooking vegetables.
Fresh vegetables on top, such as sliced cherry tomatoes or avocado.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe, 621g
- Calories: 321
- Sugar: 21.2g
- Sodium: 181mg
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 65.8g
- Fiber: 11.5g
- Protein: 13.1g
- Cholesterol: 0