- For the salad:
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1¾ cups grated carrots (1 to 2 medium)
- 1½ cups diced apple (1 to 2 medium), peeled or unpeeled
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup water
- 2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I like Dijon or stone ground)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I like apple cider)
- 1 medium clove garlic, sliced
- Place all of the dressing ingredients (water, cashews, mustard, vinegar, and garlic) into a blender, and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
- Place all of the salad ingredients (green cabbage, carrots, apple, red cabbage, raisins, and onion) into a large bowl.
- Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
For a little variation, add ¼ cup of thinly sliced radish, celery, or fresh fennel, or ½ cup of chopped bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, or pineapple.
For a lower-fat dressing, substitute 3/4 to 1 cup of cooked white beans for the cashews.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe, 1.3 cups
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 14.9g
- Sodium: 95mg
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 24.7g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 0