- 6 medium white or cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 pound white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 can cooked black beans (15 ounces; about 1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 can cooked pinto beans (15 ounces; about 1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces; about 1 1/2 cups), undrained
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (half of a 6-ounce can)
- 4 cups coarsely chopped collard greens (or other greens)
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed cilantro, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of water in a soup pot over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and cook while stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes, adding a little water as needed.
- Add the chili powder, oregano, granulated garlic, and cumin, and cook while stirring for 1 minute more, adding water as needed.
- Stir in the water, potatoes, black beans, pinto beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste, and bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Stir in the greens, and cook covered for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the cilantro, and serve as is or garnished with more chopped cilantro.
I like to use a half can (1/3 cup) of tomato paste in this stew, since it delivers a milder tomato flavor. But feel free to use the whole can (2/3 cup) if you like a richer tomato zing.
Tasty additions: Add a small peeled and chopped sweet potato (or yam) in step 3, or serve the final dish over baked sweet potatoes (or yams). Add 1/4 cup of dry/uncooked quinoa in step 3. A little chopped avocado on top adds a touch of richness.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe, 1.25 cups
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 7.1g
- Sodium: 66mg
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 39.2g
- Fiber: 10.4g
- Protein: 9.6g
- Cholesterol: 0