- 1½ cups water
- ¾ cup dry/uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (use "medium" or "hot" if you like things spicy)
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (16 ounces; I like "stir-fry" or "Thai style")
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (4 to 5 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated or chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/2 medium, ripe avocado (optional)
- White sesame seeds (for garnish; optional)
- Bring the 1 1/2 cups of water, quinoa, granulated onion, and the 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, uncovered. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes with the lid still on.
- Empty the bag of frozen vegetables into a colander and rinse under warm water to thaw.
- Place the thawed vegetables and the 1/4 cup of water into a soup pot over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, stir in the garlic, ginger, and 1 teaspoon of curry powder. Cook while stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and stir in the cooked quinoa and tahini (adding a little water, as needed, for thorough mixing). Serve as is or topped with diced avocado and/or sesame seeds.
Frozen vegetables: I use a "stir fry" blend with this recipe (see photos below), but any 16-ounce bag of frozen vegetables may be used.
Fresh vegetables: Feel free to toss in any favorite fresh vegetables, too, such as zucchini, cabbage, greens (kale, chard, spinach), or green onions along with the frozen veggies.
You can also use 2 1/2 cups of cooked short-grain brown rice in place of the cooked quinoa. For uncooked rice, use the same measurements as quinoa, but simmer for 50 minutes
Quinoa: Quinoa is sold as a dry grain, and comes in white/yellow, red, and black (see photo below). Use any color you like or a mix.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe, 1.25 cups
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 70mg
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 40.7g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: 0