- 3 cups nondairy milk (I like almond milk)
- 4 ounces dates (about 6 Medjool or 12 Deglet Noor), pitted and quartered
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup uncooked/dry “small pearl” tapioca
- Cinnamon (as optional garnish)
- Place the nondairy milk, dates, and vanilla into a blender, and let stand for at least 15 minutes (so the dates can soften).
- Blend the milk, dates, and vanilla until smooth. Pour this into a heavy-bottomed, medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Stir in the tapioca. When the milk just begins to boil, reduce the heat to low, and cook covered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. The pudding will be done when the pearls are soft and translucent. Serve hot, warm or cold with a little cinnamon on top. The pudding will continue to thicken as it cools (refrigerate for faster thickening).
For added pizazz, top with some Granola or fresh berries.
If you’d like to use vanilla beans instead of extract, stir in the seeds from 1 to 2 vanilla beans toward the end of cooking.