- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 6½ cups water
- 1 can cooked navy or white beans (15 ounces; about 1 1/2 cups) drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup dry/uncooked, long-grain brown rice
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces each; about 3 cups total), undrained
- 2 ribs celery, sliced (about 2/3 cup)
- 5 medium white or cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1½ teaspoons granulated garlic
- 3 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of water in a soup pot over medium-high heat. when the water starts to sputter, add the onion and cook while sitring for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the water, beans, rice, diced tomatoes (including juice), celery, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, and granulated garlic, and bring to a boil, uncovered. Reduce the heat to low then cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the chard then cover and cook for 10 minutes more, until the chard has wilted. Stir in the basil toward the end of cooking.
Dried herbs: If you don’t have a dried Italian herb blend on hand, use a blend of dried oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, and/or parsley.
You may also use other greens in this soup, such as beet greens, collard greens, and kale.
If you want to use fresh tomatoes instead of canned, add 1 1/2 pounds of fresh tomatoes (peeled or unpeeled) chopped, in step 2.
For a totally salt-free soup, look for salt-free canned diced tomatoes (see photo below) and salt-free canned beans.
Homemade oil-free corn chips: To make your own oil-free corn chips, cut 6-inch corn tortillas into 6 triangular pieces each and place on a baking sheet (no oil or parchment paper on the baking sheet is necessary). Cook at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Serve immediately (chips will continue to harden as they cool). To learn about buying the healthiest corn tortillas, click here.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe (1.25 cups)
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 71mg
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 30.8g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 0