- 1 1/2 cups fresh whole cranberries
- 2 medium, ripe Fuyu persimmons, chopped
- 2 tangerines (or 1 orange), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled or unpeeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the cranberries, persimmons, tangerine or orange, apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a food processor, and pulse 10 to 15 times, or until the relish looks like chunky salsa.
- Transfer the relish to a medium bowl and give it another stir to make sure the cinnamon and nutmeg have been thoroughly mixed in. Serve immediately or chill for later. (If there is too much liquid in the bottom, just drain it off.)
Extras: Feel free to add in other ingredients that are popular in cranberry relishes, such as raisins, chopped pear, orange or lemon zest, a handful of pomegranate seeds or raspberries, and/or chopped walnuts or pecans.
Persimmon types: I prefer Fuyu persimmons in this recipe and tend to steer clear of the Hachiya persimmons since when they are completely ripe and sweet they are a little too soft and gooey (see photo of both types below).
Ideas for leftover relish: Stir it into a green salad; add it to the top of oatmeal or other morning porridge; blend it into green smoothies; or blend it until smooth to make a sweet and tangy salad dressing.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe (1/2 cup)
- Calories: 84
- Sugar: 14.3g
- Sodium: 2mg
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 21.8g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 0