- 1/4 to 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (1/2 cup will result in a firmer filling)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 4 ounces pitted dates (7 to 8 Medjool or 14 to 16 Deglet Noor), chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or seeds from 1 vanilla bean)
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) baked sweet potato (about 1 pound before cooking; see Notes)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 prebaked Pecan-Date Pie Crust
- 15 to 20 raw, unsalted pecan halves to decorate the outside edge, plus 1/4 cup chopped pecans for the center of the pie
- Grind the rolled oats into flour with a blender and then transfer to a small bowl.
- Place the nondairy milk, dates, and vanilla into the blender, and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the dates can soften).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Set aside your prebaked pie crust.
- Add the baked sweet potato to the blender with the milk, dates and vanilla, and blend until smooth.
- Add the oat flour, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves to the blender mixture, and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides a couple times. (This will be thick, so use your blender's tamper if it has one, or you can also use a food processor.)
- Pour the pie filling into the prebaked pie crust and smooth out evenly. Arrange the pecan halves around the outside of the pie and the chopped pecans in the middle.
- Wrap a few 3-inch-wide strips of aluminum foil around the edge of the pie crust (keeping the edges of the foil from touching the filling) to prevent the crust from overbrowning.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the crust is a medium brown. Remove the pie from the oven and remove the foil strips. Cool completely before slicing.
To bake the sweet potato, place the unpeeled potato on a baking sheet, and bake at 400°F for 60 to 70 minutes, or until very soft when pierced with a knife.
To make this a pumpkin pie, substitute 1 can (15 ounces) 100% cooked pumpkin (not "pumpkin pie mix") or 1 1/2 cups (packed) baked pumpkin.
To make this a yam pie, substitute 1 1/2 cups (packed) baked yams. Yam pie will be darker in color than sweet potato pie.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe (1 slice, without crust)
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 13.4g
- Sodium: 20mg
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 25.4g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 0