- 5 ounces pitted dates (8 to 9 Medjool or 16 to 18 Deglet Noor), chopped
- 3 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ¾ cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or seeds 1 vanilla bean)
- ¾ to 1 cup water
- Place the dates, cashews, and vanilla into a blender. Add ¾ cup water. If the water doesn't completely cover the dates and nuts, add more just until it does. Set aside for at least 45 minutes (so the dates and nuts can thoroughly soften).
- Blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides a couple times. If your blender has a tamper, you may want to use it. (Add a little more water if the mixture becomes too thick to blend.)
For lemon frosting, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
For firmer frosting, chill for a couple hours before using.
- Serving Size: 1/6 recipe, 1/4 cup
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 16.6g
- Sodium: 3mg
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 22.0g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 3.0g
- Cholesterol: 0