This is a simple nut-based frosting that can have a vanilla or lemon flavor (see Notes for lemon). Both flavors are great on Carrot Cake, Pumpkin Pie Squares (shown below), as well as Pumpkin Pie and Sweet Potato Pie. This frosting can also be used as a dip for fruit.
- 5 ounces pitted dates (8 to 9 Medjool or 16 to 18 Deglet Noor), chopped
- 3 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ¾ cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or seeds 1 vanilla bean)
- ¾ to 1 cup water
- Place the dates, cashews, and vanilla into a blender. Add ¾ cup water. If the water doesn't completely cover the dates and nuts, add more just until it does. Set aside for at least 45 minutes (so the dates and nuts can thoroughly soften).
- Blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides a couple times. If your blender has a tamper, you may want to use it. (Add a little more water if the mixture becomes too thick to blend.)
For firmer frosting, chill for a couple hours before using.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, please share a comment below or on my Facebook page. If you’d like to print this recipe, use the green “Print” button near the top-right of the recipe. Learn more about the Straight Up Food Cookbook here. Thank you!