- For the salad:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into ¾-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves
- ½ cup raisins (brown or golden)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced or chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- ½ cup sliced almonds (plus extra for garnish)
- 4 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- Creamy Curry Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ cup water
- 2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 medium clove garlic, sliced
- To start the dressing, zest the orange first before juicing it. Set the zest aside.
- Place all of the dressing ingredients, except the orange zest, into a blender and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
- To make the salad, place the sweet potatoes into a soup pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-high, and cook until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart when pierced with a knife, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water, and set aside.
- Once the potatoes have thoroughly drained, place them into a large bowl, along with the spinach, celery, raisins, almonds, and green onions.
- Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Stir the orange zest into the blended dressing with a fork (but don't blend it). Then stir the dressing into the salad. Serve warm or chilled, plain or topped with sliced almonds.
For a lower-fat dressing, substitute 3/4 cup of cooked white beans for the cashews.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe, 1 cup
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 13.1g
- Sodium: 57mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrates: 41.6g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 0