- 7 ounces pitted dates (11 to 12 Medjool or 22 to 24 Deglet Noor), chopped
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup dry/uncooked millet
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 1 medium lemon)
- Lemon Frosting (optional)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (optional)
- Place the dates, milk, and almond extract into a small bowl, and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the dates can soften). Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a standard size loaf pan (9 x 5 x 3 inches) with parchment paper.
- Grind the rolled oats and millet into flour with a blender (30 to 40 seconds; millet is hard). Place the oat and millet flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and baking soda into a medium bowl, and whisk.
- Pour the soaking ingredients (dates, milk, and almond extract) into the blender, and blend until smooth. Add this mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients along with the applesauce and lemon zest, and stir until all of the dry ingredients have been incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until the top is medium brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and placing on a cooling rack. Cool completely before serving plain or with Lemon Frosting and sliced strawberries (or any fruit of your choice).
Nuts: For added richness and texture, add a ½ cup chopped almonds (or walnuts) to the batter along with the lemon zest.
Lemons: A regular lemon will work just fine for the cake and frosting, but a fragrant Meyer lemon is extra good. Meyer lemons are a cross between a lemon and an orange, and are in stores seasonally.
Ground nut topping: To add a bit of flair, grind some nuts on top of the frosted cake using a rotary cheese grater (as shown in top photo)
Baking powder: I use sodium-free baking powder in my desserts.
If you'd like 12 cupcakes or muffins, bake in a muffin pan with parchment paper liners at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. For a square cake, bake in an 8 x 8-inch pan lined with parchment paper at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/10 recipe (1 slice)
- Calories: 177
- Sugar: 14.6g
- Sodium: 132mg
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 34.9g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 0