This vegetable-lentil stew is a breeze to make, and it’s very versatile: add in your favorite vegetables or what you happen to have in the fridge, plus dried herbs and spices to fit your tastes.
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 8 cups water
- 3 ribs celery, sliced (about ¾ cup)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (about 1½ cups)
- 1½ pounds white potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 4½ cups)
- 1½ cups dry/uncooked green-brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage
- Heat 1 tablespoon of water in a soup pot over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the onion, and cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes, adding a little water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the water, celery, carrots, potatoes, lentils, Italian seasoning, granulated garlic, and cumin, and bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Reduce the heat to medium-low, then cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage, then cover and cook for 10 minutes more, or until the lentils are tender.
Click here to visit my Amazon kitchen store with all of my favorite products (appliances, pans, kitchen tools, food items, and books). When you make a purchase, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase and your support!