This light, colorful, and fruity spinach salad is a refreshing alternative to everyday green salads. It calls for fresh fennel, which can be found at most grocery stores. Fennel has a distinctive flavor reminiscent of black licorice, that pairs nicely with the mango and lime juice.
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves (loosely packed)
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves (loosely packed)
- 1 large mango, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into sections (with seeds removed)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled or unpeeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh fennel
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 medium, ripe avocado, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I like apple cider)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- Thoroughly wash the spinach and arugula, pat it dry with paper towels, and place it into a large bowl. (If you are not using baby spinach and baby arugula, you may want to coarsely chop larger leaves.)
- Add the mango, grapefruit, cucumber, fennel, green onion, basil, and avocado (if using) to the bowl of spinach and arugula. Add the vinegar and lime juice, and toss.
If you cannot find fresh fennel, you may substitute with celery. I like using a small handheld or regular sized mandolin to achieve very thin slices of fennel and celery.
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, please share a comment below or on my Facebook page. If you’d like to print this recipe, use the green “Print” button near the top-right of the recipe. Learn more about the Straight Up Food Cookbook here. Thank you!