This chunky, satisfying stew is full of beans, greens, corn, mushrooms, bell pepper, and plenty of herbs and spices to please your taste buds and fill your belly. This recipe makes 12 cups of stew, perfect for leftovers throughout the week!
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 cups)
- 6 medium white or cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 2½ cups)
- 4½ cups water
- ¾ pound white potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cut into ½-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- ⅓ to ⅔ cup tomato paste (see Notes)
- 1 can cooked black beans (15 ounces; about 1½ cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 can cooked pinto beans (15 ounces; about 1½ cups), drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups corn kernels
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces; about 1½ cups), undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups coarsely chopped collard greens (or other greens)
- 1½ cups loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of water in a soup pot over medium-high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes, adding a little water as needed.
- Add the water, potatoes, tomato paste, black beans, pinto beans, corn, diced tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, garlic, and cumin, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the greens and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cilantro, and serve as is or garnished with some chopped cilantro.
Tasty additions: Use a small peeled and chopped sweet potato (or yam) instead of a white potato, or leave out the potatoes and serve over baked potatoes (sweet or white). A little chopped avocado on top adds a touch of richness.
Click here to visit my Amazon kitchen store with all my favorite products (appliances, pans, kitchen tools, food items, and books). When you make a purchase, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase and your support!