This cranberry relish requires no cooking, just a food processor for uniform chopping. The sweetness of the persimmons, apple, and tangerine balance the tartness of the raw cranberries. Serve during the holidays alongside mashed potatoes and stuffing.
- 1½ cups fresh (or frozen and thawed) whole cranberries
- 2 ripe Fuyu persimmons, chopped
- 2 medium tangerines (or large 1 orange), peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 apple, peeled or unpeeled, cored and chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the cranberries, persimmons, tangerine or orange, apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the food processor, and pulse 10 to 15 times, or until the relish looks like chunky salsa. If there is too much liquid, just drain it off.
- Transfer the relish to a bowl and give it another stir to make sure the cinnamon and nutmeg have been thoroughly mixed in. Serve immediately or chill for later.
Persimmon types: I prefer Fuyu persimmons in this recipe and tend to steer clear of the Hachiya persimmons since when they are completely ripe and sweet they are a little too soft and gooey (see photo of both types below).
Ideas for leftover relish: Stir it into a green salad; add it to the top of oatmeal or other morning porridge; blend it into green smoothies; or blend it until smooth to make a sweet and tangy salad dressing.
Above: I was surprised at how much I loved this relish. I thought it would be too tart in a raw form, but the sweet-tart balance is great. This raw version is also very colorful and eye-catching. This is a healthy alternative to canned cranberry jelly or traditional relishes, which are typically loaded with high-fructose corn syrup or white sugar.
Above: A Fuyu persimmon on the left and a Hachiya on the right. A ripe Fuyu will leave a little indent when pressed on, like a ripe pear.
Click here to visit my Amazon kitchen store with all of my favorite products (appliances, pans, kitchen tools, food items, and books). When you make a purchase, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase and your support!